Thursday, May 5, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies



I am so into baking mood lately, just the other day I baked some Japanese Cheese Cake for the 2nd time, and yesterday I baked this Oatmeal cookies for the boys to snack on after school. I have one 2nd grader and one Kinder-garter who are always hungry after school, and I also have one terrible twos at home. Making 1 batch of cookies would only last them for couple days, so I decided to make 2 batches.
I adopted the recipe from MYRECIPES.COM, What I love about it is it only uses brown sugar, so it's not too sweet I supposed, and I would feel less guilty giving it to my kids :d
I added a little twist with the spices, instead of using just cinnamon and cloves I used the famous Dutch Spekulaas blended of spices (the combinations of some nutmeg, maze, cinnamon, cloves etc). When the cookies are in the oven my kitchen smells amazing!!

I love that blended of spices, love its smells and its taste. It's very popular in Indonesia as bumbu spekoek. We normally use it for lapis legit or thousand layers cake. Maybe someday I'll bake that cake again and share the recipe here.

Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe adopted from myrecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
  • 1 1/4 cups oatmeal
  • egg
  • 3 tablespoons whole milk
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I use spekulaas spices)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I use spekulaas spices)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I omit it)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method :

Preheat oven to 375° F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and butter until well blended. Add the oatmeal, egg, and milk, stirring well. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Gradually add to the oatmeal mixture, stirring well. Stir in the walnuts, raisins, and vanilla. Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls, spaced about 1 inch apart, onto the baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough.






0 comments:

Simplydelish.blogspot.com. Powered by Blogger.

"Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure LOVE" ~ MILDRED B. VERMONT ~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...